February 13, 2012

Of course Jill was there

A very dear friend from graduate school referred to our bible study as "a party with Jesus". When she was overwhelmed with homework or studying, she would call me and with great sadness report "I don't know if I can party with Jesus tonight." I loved this idea of party Jesus sitting around with us at a table eating Lilian's homemade Chinese food (usually wearing his white tunic with purple Mari Gras beads around his neck). I loved the way Mamie could talk about Jesus and not sound like a crazy person but rather a woman so in love with Jesus that she inserted him into everything we did. There he would be- in a wool jacket with a fur (fake) lined hood hanging with us down by the Mississippi river in Minneapolis, Minnesota circa February during our lunch break.

So last Wednesday I was reminiscent of that feeling that I was partying with Jesus. My bible study took a day off from our normal Wednesday responsibilities to attend Moody Bible Institute's "Founders Week" where we listened to our favorite Christian author Jill Briscoe and another passionate man named Frances Chan. Two people so radical in their love of God and with a fire in the belly to serve Him and the human race. Wow. I cannot encourage you enough to find some time to cozy up with your computer and watch Miss Briscoe's presentation. She is Brittish, hilarious, and my ultimate hero that I aspire to become. If you are inspired by Jill, try Mr Chan who is wild and full of ideas of how God wants us to participate in this one, precious life.

If you wish to truly mimic my amazing day of Jesus, spend an hour in Anthropologie and/ or a beautiful flower shop between the presentations with close loving friends. Soak in the beauty of a winter's blue sky and all the beautiful textures and colors around you. Have a cup of tea and completely indulge in some guacamole. Take a group nap in a public place and giggle often. Feel so inspired by your surroundings that you cannot stop taking pictures. Choose to walk 1.5 miles rather than take a bus and literally stop to admire the way a turquoise door pops against a red brick building. Feel convicted. Feel inspired. Feel a fire rumbling in your belly. That is a day full of God's love and amazing artistry: a party with Jesus indeed!

Jill Briscoe 2-8-2012 Presentation Here

Highly suggested book: Prayer That Works by Jill Briscoe
We heart Jill.

No comments:

Post a Comment