July 11, 2012

Fourth of July: the best holiday of the year




Rachel- my loverly sister-in-law- filled this red container up with
rosemary infused margaritas. Of course it's all about 
presentation too... don't forget the table cloth! 
(Grill master Ben in the background)


Mr. Teo on the paddle board. So skilled. So tan. So balanced!
Still smiling. 


Drinks on our blanket.


Miss Maye after our kayaking expedition. 
She got the free ride between her mama and Daniella. 

One of the hottest fourth of July's we've had in a while but we celebrated with absolute deliciousness and plenty of Lake Michigan water. This was the first time I ever found Lake Michigan not cold enough! My sister in law reserved some paddle boards and kayaks as well as prepared a yummy spread of herb and garlic infused burgers, herbed potato salad, and corn/ avocado salad followed by flour less chocolate cake. Despite the 100+ degree temperatures I could live this day over and over. We settled under a tree and when we became hot, we darted into the water for a few minutes dodging flying volleyballs and children in life vests.

After dinner we headed over to the fireworks at the boat yard (where a variety of people from our church and Ben's parents are usually camped out right on the shore), Teo (10), Daniella (13), and I weaved through the enormous crowds of families and fiestas (literally). 

Daniella to Teo: "I spend a lot of time at camp with little kids. I mean, you are a little kid but you are a cool little kid, you know? You're not a little little kid."

Teo: "Yeah. And you are an older kid but you aren't a crazy older kid. You are cool too." 

Can we please have more of these conversations in adulthood please?


No comments:

Post a Comment