August 4, 2012

A few pictures and a few words

 Party line!

My long-time friend, Andrea, (think eighth grade cross country) just moved into her first home. She  recently landed her first job as an MD and now takes the blue line in from Oak Park to Rush Hospital to heal people. She also moved in one block north of Stefanie, my college roommate, who has been living on the same street for two years. I visited Andrea last weekend and fell in love with her yellow kitchen, massive pantry, and the yellow party line in the basement which was wearing a pink sombrero. Congratulations, lovely friend of mine!



Sadness. and Happiness. I am a mixed bag of feelings on this one. 
Angela was a friend before we even met. She was moving to Chicago from North Dakota to work with me at RIC and we talked on the phone before her move because I was giving her suggestions on different Chicago neighborhoods. I remember driving down Happ Road and having to roll up the windows because the cicadas were so loud and I wanted to hear her clearly. We talked for an hour on that phone call. She was the first new friend I made upon my return from Minneapolis and I adore our camaraderie so much. She and her husband moved to Minneapolis this week and this picture was seconds before our goodbye. Best of luck in my second favorite city, Angela and Hugh!!! I will be visiting.



Finally a few moments to make some art. I love when the glass of rinse water turns a vibrant color and the wax paper becomes a piece of art in itself. I am not a great painter but I do enjoy the process.




I am an only child. I am super close with my mama and papa but sometimes I do wish I had a sibling. I am so lucky that I married Ben and inherited his absolutely wonderful family. The kiddos (my niece and nephew) are at camp this week in Michigan (their camp letters melt my heart) so Rachel has been fancy free for the first time since I met her 10 years ago. Ben, Rachel, and I trekked down to Wicker Park for some delicious fancy tacos at Antique Tacos Wednesday evening. We hope to connect a few more times before the rascals return with stories of horses, swimming, and sunburns.


Chilled at the Band of Horses concert at The Metro on Thursday but super enjoyed the opening band Michael Kiwanuka (pictured above). Band of Horses inspires everything in my bones that wants to write fiction. Perhaps it's how he sings words like "snack machine" and "with the sun in your eyes". Yep. There it is. The craving to write. (Other bands that make me want to write: The National and Tool. Weird)



A former OT student of mine is now a co-worker of mine. Kind of exciting!!! She took her family to North Carolina before starting the job and brought me back some beautiful, unusual shells. They remind me a lot of the antlers my uncle gave me in Minnesota earlier this summer and I cannot help but marvel at nature's ability to build these archaic looking and strong materials. Breathtaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment