Coming home from the hospital with a six pound newborn on a 90+ degree day. There were fresh flowers on our kitchen counter awaiting our arrival as well as a tender gesture from Pat & Kelly who snuck in the night before to tidy our living space and set up the rocking cradle. Miss D arrived three weeks early and Ben and I left our home slightly dazed at midnight that night certain that my water breaking was not my water breaking. (I had walked two miles with Melissa that morning and enjoyed a s'more around the campfire with friends all night- this was certainly not the sign of a baby on her way!) Upon our return home three days later Ben convinced me to take a nap as all I really wanted to do was hold and admire our new love. I curled up on our bed (located in the living room because the upstairs was completely gutted) and I listened to Ben carry our daughter to the kitchen where he played her Nat King Cole "Mona Lisa". Later he told me he wanted her first song exposure to be of the highest quality of talent. And I still find them- she on his lap- listening to all the beautiful music that Ben has been excited to share.
I can almost hear them talking now, Daphne asking Molly do go to some obscure rock concert, Molly saying something like "well, as long as we can dance to it."
ReplyDelete