Oh living-in-Construction, may we never underestimate your inconvenience and abundant length of stay in Ben and my life. May I continue to see the absolute ridiculousness and humor that enriches my life when you attempt to defeat me, my husband, or our marriage. Don't be coy, Construction. Man up to those times that you are drafty and inefficient, noisy, reeking of caulk chemicals, and the occasional times you assault me with rusty nails. Recall the days that I evacuate your presence with my daughter as to avoid the fragrance and side effects of plumbing glue. Let's reminisce about the awkwardness of every UPS and delivery person's response to our front door opening into a bathtub and queen size bed. But truly, Construction, you have a special place in my heart. You are a luxury problem. A blessing and gift that we are privileged enough to transform this small house into a home.
Ben and I were very aware that ripping into the upstairs of our small home would also mean that we would temporarily lose our only full bathroom. Sometime in July, the loss of our one and only shower occurred. Suddenly, Ben and I were playing "camping" and "musical showers". Packing up our towels, putting on flip flop shower shoes, and toting a change of clothes and essential (ONLY essential) toiletries, we showered at any dinner party, social gathering, neighbor, or family member's home. We joked that we needed to photo-document all the places we showered. But I was nine months pregnant. And then we were with a newborn. I didn't want to leave the hospital after my delivery because I had access to my very own shower. The nurses may have found my enthusiasm for bathing excessive and perhaps obsessive.
We are so thankful for the showers of our loved ones. A special shout out to Pat and Kelly, Melissa, Andy and Brittany, Angie and Ramon, and Ben's parents. We would have been disgusting had you not been so gracious. Needless to say, when you are a new mom and without a shower, you might appear a little greasier than usual. I had to explain to the pediatrician that I was "living in construction dirty" and not "post partum depression dirty". She did not appear to judge,
This is all explained in detail today because starting this weekend we are able to shower in our own home! Here's one other little thing about construction: momentous occasions like these never happen how you imagined they would be. I thought that my first shower in our new bathtub would take place in our new bathroom complete with heated floors, a toilet, and glistening new faucet handles. I did not imagine that Ben and I would be using exposed plumbing PVC pipe as a towel rack and that I would need a pair of pliers to turn on the water. Please refer to picture below... Jealous? But it is a shower. That we don't have to leave the house for. And one day, we will be blessed by a toilet and a sink and storage for our towels. And we will find all those little things absolute blessings too.
Our living-nursery-tub-bedroom-entry way BEFORE
Our living-nursery-bedroom-entry way AFTER
The placement of our tub
And the placement of our tub + blue tarps, a shower liner, &
of course, a cushy new bath mat. L.U.X.U.R.Y.
No comments:
Post a Comment