There are a few fairly benign objects and/ or activities in the world that make me anxious. #1. Fish. I've been told there are therapies for this. My mom has investigated these therapies for me. I think I am improving. At least I can swim in the ocean. Until something rubs against my toe. #2. Talking on the phone. Perhaps because I think I sound like Mini Mouse on the phone. #3. Fruit. Again, I am conquering my own fear here as I am a recovering picky eater. I am no longer as freaked out by overly soft ripening fruit on my kitchen counter unless it leaks. #4. Cooking.
So that is why I am so surprised that "cooking" for Miss. D gives me so much joy. Making baby food brings me way too much happiness. I cannot wait to select a new fruit or veggie to steam and puree for this little seven month bundle of joy. I dreamt about it last night in fact. I am suddenly fine overpaying for a Pink Lady apple and don't even blink an eye at the register. I marvel at the amazing vibrant colors of each puree and do my own taste test before sharing it with the little one. (The Pink Lady apple sauce was delicious but my sentiments were not shared by the wee one.) We are starting out with the basics: apples, peas, sweet potato, and carrots. Ben and I are amused by the selection and variety of facial expressions that are communicated during this very special 15 minutes of the day. I am excited to start using some recipes from the babyfoode website. Imagine carrots and nutmeg or beet apple & clove. (Side note: in my dream last night I could not find the beets and could only find prunes. This dream was the best out of a series of 12 dreams given that Miss. D is slightly feverish and is up multiple times during the night). So in case you are wondering what I have been up to besides work & trying to sleep, I have been breaking in the immersion blender and enjoying every moment of spooning a little sweet potato to a mouth that sings her anticipation to the spoon every time.

No comments:
Post a Comment