A [mildly artsy][music loving][gardening][30s][mama]
Girl's Book of Chicago
I do enjoy the city I live in very much. While my husband and I occasionally pine for a mountain to hike through or drive up a mountain, we do feel fortunate to live here in Chicago-land. Perhaps it is the attractions and delicious eats that keep us satisfied. (But) More likely it is the fact that so many loved ones are within an hour (if not ten minute!) drive.
Most of the time we are enjoying a campfire in our backyard or gathering with friends to play music. Kelly once said, "this spring we will start a campfire and by fall we won't even remember that there ever wasn't a fire." We also do a lot of group cooking but when we get the chance to go out on the town, we like to see beautiful things.
I've compiled a list of my favorite things about the city I live: Chicago! What's your favorite thing?
Attractions
Signature Room 95th Floor : A cup of hot chocolate or a mixed drink with a view of the city.
Ravinia: pack a picnic and some candles to enjoy from the lawn seats of this magical music venue.
Chicago Botanic Gardens: as a garden lover, I will share my favorite gardens here. English Garden, sensory garden, the forest of birch trees, and (mid-summer) the dahlias. The OT in me loves the enabling garden.
Green City Market : summertime farmer's market on Wednesdays. Check out Nichol's Farm and pick up a crazy variety of potatoes. You can also walk to the Lincoln Park Zoo, Lincoln Park Conservatory, & A New Leaf from here.
The Modern Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago : the architecture of this addition is nothing short of breathtaking. Especially when you are looking at it from the Lurie Garden or the BP bridge.
Lurie Garden @ Millenium Park : Millenium Park is an obvious but my favorite part is this natural garden with many plants native to Illinois. Many summer weeknights feature bands and orchestras so check out the Pritzker Pavilion. I had the joy of seeing She & Him one summer evening as well as Andrew Bird and Head and the Heart. (Thanks Stef!)
Chicago River Boat Rentals : my husband's family and I spent a lovely September afternoon cruising the Chicago River. We were able to see all the "backside" architecture while snacking on our packed picnic. We ended the day at Margie's Candies.
The Moth live storytelling : kind of akin to stand-up storytelling. Usually rotates to different venues around the city once a month.
Lincoln Hall : Confession. I have never been. But a lot of fantastic musicians play here! One day I will be able to make it happen.
Old Town School of Folk Music : I have had the pleasure of seeing many musicians here and cross my fingers that we will be able to provide music lessons here for Miss D if she should ever choose.
Fireworks at Navy Pier : Saturdays and Wednesdays during the summer. Always best if they take you by surprise whether you are on a boat or wandering by Buckingham Fountain.
Annual Events
Ravenswood Arts Walk : Super fun area and super fun artists. Also, pick up some pie :o)
Hot Chocolate 5K : a tasty reason to run and a very fun run at that!
Bike the Drive : when else can you bike a massive portion of Lake Shore Drive? Hope for good weather.
If you want to make an afternoon activity of city wandering
Walking along the river in Lincoln Square : maybe this is pure nostalgia as my friend and I walk here almost every other Saturday. There are tiny little neighborhood restaurants along the way. I enjoy Pizza Art Cafe or Cafe Selmarie for dessert.
Biking from Southport/ Armitage down to the planetarium. Admire the brownstone homes, the subtle waves on the lake, and the city skyline.
Rent a convertible and drive Lake Shore Drive north. Connect with Sheridan Road and drive up to Highland Park or beyond!
Drive Lincoln Avenue : my favorite Chicago street. Admire the old-school motels on the way north side, stop in at a random restaurant, and allow the avenue to take you downtown.
Delicious-ness Chicago
Hopleaf : phenomenal list of beers & creative menu. My favorite meal: the CBJ with a side of frites. Ben's favorite meal: the mussles. There is no favorite beer- it is an adventure.
Smoque : favorite barbeque ever. Our favorite: St Louis ribs, vinegar coleslaw, mac and cheese, and a peach cobbler. Worth the wait in line. BYOB.
Revolution Brewery : I will argue this is the best burger in the world that is sold in restaurants. The beer is delicious and Chicago brewed. (The best burger ever is made by Pat and Ben: three different types of meat ground together by Pat, homemade pretzel buns glazed in bacon fat by Ben, Mertz cheddar cheese, and bacon. Yesh.)
Antique Taco : fancy, flavorful tacos in a funky environment. Enjoy Rosemary's Margarita.
M Henry's : the best brunch around. My best experiences are when I am with someone who will split a blackberry pancake and a Franny's fried egg sandwich with me. Stop in Gethsemene on the way in or while you wait. * See below.
Bangers & Lace : gourmet corn dog, pretzel with chocolate-based sauce, and a tasty beer menu. Plus the bathroom is pretty.
Hot Chocolate : decadent dessert (and dinner) venue for fancy date or stopping in with friends.
Longman & Eagle : whiskey bar with exquisite eats. I went with my bible study and all eat meals were gorgeous and delicious. I had fried chicken and waffles and a beer-based mimosa.
Birchwood Kitchen : very cute and fresh-tasting brunch/ lunch.
Cooba : Latin Asian meals and BYOB.
Bourgeoise Pig : a special cozy place I used to study at or play Scrabble with Ben.
Bakin' & Eggs : a flight of bacon? Yes! A brunch and coffee shop.
Wishbone : reconstructed southern food.
Window Shopping
Gethsemene Garden : garden and home
A New Leaf : garden and random finds like electronic pieces or origami cranes,
The Needle Shop : funky fun fabric found here!
The Red Balloon : children's store in Andersonville
Mille Fiore Flower Shop : garden and home
Delicious-ness -North of the City
Union Pizza : brick oven pizza and Allagash White beer is one of my favorite Evanston meals
Brothers K : coffee shop with loads of loyalty.
Pita Inn : Ben and I eat here almost once a week. Hummos perfection. Number 29! Number 29!
Kabul House : Afghani meals that are flavorful and filling
Yolo Mexican Eatery : upscale. beautiful Mexican dining
JR's Cheesecake : Ben gets my birthday cakes here, usually the raspberry cheesecake. Heaven.
Temperance Brewery : Brand new to Evanston and a very well-designed space. Excited for outdoor seating. Bring your own food.
Pinstripes : I am posting this because the outdoor seating includes Adirondock chairs around fireplaces and a view of a hill with "prairie" growth.
Activity North of the City
Space : local music venue with an intimate atmosphere.
Lighthouse Beach : my favorite beach because it includes a very small grove of trees
Evanston Community Garden : I adore the patchwork of gardens in community settings. The garden on McCormick is a small one but I can spend an hour observing all the different styles of planting and natural decorating.
Kayaking the Skokie Lagoons : Summer 2014!
Kayaking Lake Michigan : two hour rentals for two person kayaks or canoes. Fun idea for the fourth of July that my husband's family participated in.
Green Bay Biking Trail : this ride is extra pleasant because most of it is shaded and rarely do you have to stop at streets. Enjoy a cold chai tea once you arrive at downtown Highland Park,
Northwestern Block Museum : interesting and sometimes unusual exhibits, often free. Plus take a moment to enjoy a walk around the Northwestern Landfill and read the messages painted on the rocky shore of Lake Michigan.
Walking from Lee Street Beach to Northwestern Island
Biking Harms Woods trail : I believe this trail runs from the north side of Chicago up to the Botanic Gardens! I have only walked portions of this trail but again, it is a shady pleasant trail.
Other
Radio stations WLUW 88.7 : Loyola College Radio
My favorite Chicago morning show Morning AMP
My friend Kelly is a talented photographer with a heart for Chicago and the Northshore

As if I didn't miss it enough already!! What a great list! Such a fun city :) miss you!
ReplyDeleteHeather